- Review, Comedy Central – Andrew Daly reviews life experiences people write in to ask about, and the show within a show is often hilarious. Someone suggests addiction and he becomes a cocaine addict, then he takes his babysitter to her prom and the cocaine reappears. The brilliant episode entitled "Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes" left me gasping for air, as did his journey into space. Be sure to Youtube the Australian original, which is also fantastic.
- Bass Drum of Death, Rip This – I caught these guys at the Middle East two days before this album dropped and they put on one of the best live shows I can remember. Possibly my favorite working band, all their albums are worth checking out.
- Divergent, The Fault in Our Stars – I'm a sixth grade English teacher, so I read a lot of YA. Two great books that became faithful, excellent movies. Oddly both star Shaleine Woodley with Ansel Elgort as brother in one, lover in the other. As I often say, even if you saw the movies, you'll still enjoy the books!
- Dum Dum Girls, Too True – I've finally made my peace with the Dum Dum Girlss. For years, I could not forgive them from cleaning up the wild, raw sound that made I Will Be an all-time favorite. By album three, they're like the new Simpsons -- nowhere near as good as the old stuff, but it's still pretty good on its own.
- Edge of Tomorrow – We popped it in to laugh at the new Tom Cruise movie, but it turned out to be a clever and hilarious action movie with real heart.
- Barack Obama – I got behind him early in 2008 and I've never looked back, never had a moment of buyer's remorse, have defended him at every turn. And despite a bad election, he had a good year, especially at the end. Dude's gotten done just about all he could in a murderous political climate where the goal is to thwart anything he proposes, even when he proposes Republicans' own ideas. Year ends with immigration reform, restores relations with Cuba, and an economic boom. Four more years!
- Miso – I combine it with rice vinegar and olive oil to make my go-to salad dressing. Without a lot of work, it makes for amazing ramen. Cheap, healthy, great food find.
Happy new year!